Thursday, October 31, 2013

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce


Publishing year: 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:
Scarlett and Rosie March have spent years hunting the Fenris-werewolves who took Scarlett’s eye in a brutal attack years ago. Donning blood-red cloaks and wielding deadly hatchets, the sisters kill Fenris to protect other young girls from a grisly fate. Yet even as the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is lethal with an ax and is Scarlett’s only friend-but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they’ve worked for?

Review:
First I want to say that I read this in one sitting. That’s right, it’s that good. The writing is fast-paced, and never dull. The imagery is bold and defined. For example:

“His irises were dark sienna, the red-brown shade of Autumn leaves.” Page 2.

No matter the scene, it’s always detailed in a way that makes you feel like you’re there. A few times when reading about the Fenris attacks a chill went down my spine. It became incredibly easy to see those creatures with yellow fangs and patchy fur in my own house. This is a brilliant book to read late at night.

As for what kept this from achieving a perfect score, it begins with the beginning. Har har.  I was lead to believe this was written in third person thanks to the prologue and later I discovered the epilogue was also in third. Everything else was in first person with each chapter being narrated by the sisters. I’ve never been a big fan of alternating perspectives except with Across the Universe and it was also okay in this book.

I loved that this book was set in Georgia, especially since so much action took place in Atlanta. It seems childish but I’m always delighted when the setting of the book is a real-life location near me. It just makes it easier to fall for the book.

Another minor thing. Their cat is named Screwtape. I bet there’s a story behind that and I am so disappointed Pearce didn’t throw in a bit more of a backstory that way. Still every time Silas was attacked by the cat I had a good chuckle.

Sadly, the plot was a bit predictable. I had the basic ending sketched out after the first hundred and fifty pages or so. I’m not sure if that’s because I was on the lookout for a plot twist or not but it was still disappointing.

The age difference between Rosie and Silas was also a hurdle I had to overcome. If memory serves correctly, Rosie is sixteen to Silas’s twenty-one. When they’re in their thirties five years won’t make much of a difference but for this novel, I had to suspend my disbelief and that’s a hard thing to do. I understand why Silas has to be twenty-one but I don’t see why Rosie couldn’t be eighteen or nineteen. And while I’m on this topic. The scene where Silas and Scarlett kiss. Rosie never finds out and that irks me. It’s as though Rosie is second best to Scarlett for his affection and that’s not okay. It completely undermined Silas as a character.

One last piece of criticism. I read somewhere that this book was listed in the top 100 ranking of young adult books for feminists. Or something along that line. I just don’t see this as a feminist book. Every female character aside from Rosie, Scarlett, and Oma March is shown as superficial and vain. They’re overheard talking about nail polish and described as dragonflies. Brightly colored and flitting about. I might be missing a clue here. No doubt that Rosie, Scarlett, and Oma lead self-empowered lives but I don’t see how this can be called a feminist book when every other girl is so shallow.

Despite all my negative thoughts this is a book I’d recommend and I definitely plan to check out other books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment