Saturday, October 5, 2013

That '70s Show Vs. That '80s Show


Growing up in the nineties was delightful. I don’t think it was necessarily better than any other decade but I’ve had some friends who truly believe that ‘90s babies are superior. I find this ridiculous but it does bring back fond memories. In particular, a few shows. Besides the original Pokemon, which will forever dominate my opinion of anime I also think of Jerry Springer that my mom didn’t know I watched and That ‘70s Show.


I don’t meet many people who dislike this show. There’s nothing to really dislike about it. You’ve got an off mix of people, some typical love triangles and couples who constantly break up and get back together. It sounds like so many shows on TV today…hmm. Anyway, I watched That 70s Show whenever I could and when it finally went off air I was of course saddened for two seconds before I moved on. But unlike everyone else I never knew a spinoff, namely That ‘80s Show had ever been made until a few weeks ago. Yes, I know I live under a rock.

So, after asking some of my friend’s opinions I learned a little about the show. The general consensus: “It sucks!” However, this wouldn’t be a blog worthy moment if I agreed with them. Nope I am one of the few who actually like the spinoff. There I said it! Now what I am not saying is that it’s my favorite show or in any way superior to its predecessor. Because let’s face it, nothing will ever top Red Foreman threatening to put his foot in someone’s ass. 

That ‘80s Show is decent though. I don’t mind watching it, and in fact, I would choose it over some shows, such as Toddlers and Tiaras. I think part of the reason so many hate it, is the fact that they can’t stop comparing it to That ‘70s. I mean this is a show with a similar premise but completely different characters and settings. I honestly don’t think the two should be compared. It’s like comparing a movie to the book it was based on. It’s never going to measure up. Not ever. Stop all hope now. 

It’s better to view the two shows separately as I do. It’s easier for me than for my friends because I didn’t immediately go from watching one to the other. There were years between the end of one and the beginning of the other for me. I like to think that my view of them is much more objective.  

I just wish that there had been more than one season of That ‘80s Show. With just thirteen episodes, it never stood a chance.

If you have seen both, which do you prefer and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment