Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

Series: Fairytale Retellings #2
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publishing year: 2011
Rating: 4/5
Synopsis: As a child, Gretchen's twin sister was taken by a witch in the woods. Ever since Gretchen and her brother, Ansel, have felt the long branches of the witch's forest threatening to make them disappear too. Years later, they find themselves in South Carolina.  Gretchen is determined to stop running and start fighting back. Yet the further she investigates the mystery of what the witch is and how it chooses its victims, the more she wonders who the real monster is. 

Review:
I expected this to be completely different from Sisters Red, the first book in this series. You can see my review of the first book here. I was partly right. Unlike the other book there is only one narrator in this one. That is probably the biggest difference between the two. And I have to say I liked that aspect, it was much easier to follow the story from one point of view. I also found myself liking Gretchen, she has a lot of spunk. Her brother, Ansel, I didn't care much for, but this didn't surprise me. As an only child in reality I've never been fond of siblings in fiction. Slightly weird but it's mainly because I have a serious lack of understanding about the relationship between siblings.

Anyway I started this book with the assumption that the books were linked solely by their roots in fairy tales, but I was wrong. They do share an overall plot line involving the fenris. I am genuinely looking forward to reading the third book.

The fenris spin made me absolutely love this series, this is one of the few times I can say the sequel conquers the first book. I'm a sucker for anything resembling werewolves. Sweetly had several surprises and it kept me guessing. Every time I thought it was becoming dull or when I began predicting the next scene I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment