Sunday, January 5, 2014

My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier & Christopher Collier

Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Scholastic
Publishing Year: 1974
Rating: 5/5
Synopsis:
All his life Tim Meeker has looked up to his brother, Sam. Sam is smart and brave an always knows the right thing to do. Everyone in town admires him. Until now. Sam has enlisted in the new American Revolutionary Army. He talks about defeating the British and becoming independent and free. But not everyone in town wants to be a part of this new America. Most people are loyal supporters of the English king-including Tim and Sam's father. War is raging and Tim knows he'll have to make a choice. But how can he choose when it means fighting his father on one side and fighting his brother on the other?

Review:
I didn't expect much from this book. I saw that it had won some awards and although I was certain it was meant for a younger audience I hopes it would satisfy my need for a historical fiction novel. I didn't expect it to be this good.

I haven't read many books set during the American Revolution but every single one has been promoting the Rebels. I enjoyed seeing not only the Loyalist perspective but also one of a pacifist. It was different and I enjoyed reading a book that focused on the consequences of war rather than the glory of it.

The only think it didn't do was touch my emotions. I didn't feel sad when Sam died-does this count as a spoiler considering the title? Nor did I sympathize with Tim when he was caught between his brother and Sam. I read it in a mild state of apathy but still found it enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment