Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Doppelganger by David Stahler Jr.



Most unusual book I’ve read in a while. I’ve never read a book where a doppelganger has been the protagonist; well I’d have trouble recalling a book that featured a doppelganger at any point. 

At first he doesn’t have a name and for a while when he assumes the form of Chris Parker he goes by that name, but towards the end his girlfriend Amber gives him his own name, Gabriel. Even after reading over two hundred pages of him living as Chris, I feel that Gabriel suits him better. 

This story had many parallels to Macbeth, a point I need to make since the book mentioned it a dozen or so times. Gabriel likens himself to Macbeth, who just like him is a killer although neither of them have the stomach for it. He compares the scene in the play where Lady Macbeth listens as Macbeth plans to kill Banquo and does nothing to hinder him, to the Parker home. The father Barry frequently beats Echo, Chris’s sister and neither the mom nor Chris interferes. This bothers Gabriel on a deep level and this is where we see him change.

If I were asked to describe him in one word, I would choose pacifist. He is not a violent creature by any means. In the prologue, which was what hooked me to the book, we see that he can barely stand to kill a cricket and later when it comes time to murder a human; it has to be either an act of mercy or self-defense for him to stomach it. 

By the end of the book, I think he is more capable of killing and perhaps more at ease with his own nature but I don’t feel that this is the end of his story. He is still largely a pacifist and he has a challenging road ahead of him.

Not sure that I would read this book again but by no means would I toss it in the rubbish pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment