Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Berlin Boxing Club by Robert Sharenow



 Genre: Historical Fiction
Publishing Year: 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Rating: 3/5

Synopsis:
Fourteen-year-old Karl Stern has never thought of himself as a Jew. But to the bullies at his school in Nazi-era Berlin, it doesn’t matter that Karl has never set foot in a synagogue or that his family doesn’t practice religion. Demoralized by relentless attacks on a heritage he doesn’t accept as his own, Karl longs to prove his worth to everyone around him.

So, when Max Schmeling, champion boxer and German national hero, makes a deal with Karl’s father to give Karl boxing lessons, Karl sees it as the perfect chance to reinvent himself. A skilled cartoonist, Karl has never had an interest in boxing, but as Max becomes the mentor Karl never had, Karl soon finds both his boxing skills and his art flourishing.

But when Nazi violence against Jews escalates, Karl must take on a new role: protector of his family. Karl longs to ask his new mentor for help, but with Max’s fame growing, he is forced to associate with Hitler and other Nazi elites, leaving Karl to wonder where his hero’s sympathies truly lie. Can Karl balance his dream of boxing greatness with his obligation to keep his family out of harm’s way?

Review:
Overall, I enjoyed this book, but I couldn’t help but feel disappointed when I finished it. Karl has taken definitive steps toward manhood by this point but in many ways, he is still a frightened boy. I feel that this book is more of a coming to age novel, than historical fiction.

 Still there is something to be gleaned from its pages. I have heard the stories of several Holocaust survivors in person and still many more that I read about in school. My World History class in high school went over the causes of WWII in detail and of course, the Holocaust came up multiple times. Whenever Nazi Germany was brought up, the conversation immediately turned to either the concentration camps or Kristallnacht. 

There was never much discussed about what led up to Kristallnacht, and I think that is where a good deal of this book’s power lies. It answered many of my questions. I always wondered if there were Jews who had abandoned their faith before the Nazi party rose, and if those Jews existed, where they still identifiable or could they slip under the radar. Every book about this time focuses on the Jews, but what about the homosexuals and the Gypsies, among others. Where they treated the same?

Karl is a nonobservant Jew and most others; he has none of the stereotypical features. Still his heritage is eventually revealed and he is expelled from his school. I didn’t encounter a Gypsy character in this book although they were mentioned but there were two homosexuals. The Countess and Fritz. Fritz turns out to be a weak character but I genuinely like the Countess, and his bravery on Kristallnacht. The book didn’t go into much detail about his own hardships although it is hinted that his business is beginning to suffer. Still he ends up risking himself to help Karl and his sister, Hildy. He is a strong character and extremely likeable. 

This novel spans about four years and I felt the transitions were a bit rough. One minute Karl is fourteen and the next he’s sixteen and having his heart broken and then he’s seventeen and his father is finally treating him like a man. Otherwise the story did flow well and I found it to be a good read. 

The ending left me dissatisfied even as I realized that it was much more realistic than any happy ending would have been. Hildy and Karl are on their way to America leaving their parents behind in Germany and once in America they will be split up. They have hope but their difficulties are hardly over. Maybe their parents will join them in America or maybe their father will be sent to a concentration camp and likely that their mother will fall back into her manic-depressive state. I am not a happy camper at the moment. 

For everything negative, I’ve said about this book there is a upside. I could not put this book down for all its faults. Sharenow is a wonderfully powerful writer and when I was reading this book, I was in the book. As I read I made several comparisons of this novel to the Rocky series and I think any reader who is familiar with them will notice similarities as well. 

I won’t be rereading this book, but it did serve to stir my interests in the Nazi-era again so I consider my time spent reading this book well worth it.

Question: When choosing a historical fiction novel to read do you prefer books with a heavy focus on war and soldiers or those that do not?

No comments:

Post a Comment