Friday, November 1, 2013

Lost by Jacqueline Davies

Genre: Historical Fiction
Publishing year: 2009
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Rating: 3/5

Synopsis:
Essie can tell from the moment she lays eyes on Harriet Abbott: this is a woman who has taken a wrong turn in life. Why else would an educated, well-dressed, clearly upper-crust girl end up in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory setting sleeves for six dollars a day? But Harriet isn’t the only one who is lost. Essie wanders between the opposing emotions of her love for the young would-be lawyer who lives next door and her hatred for her mother who seems determined to take away every bit of happiness that Essie hopes to find. As the unlikely friendship between Essie and Harriet grows, so does the weight of the question hanging between them: Who is lost? And who will be found?

Review:
This was an entirely different take on the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire for me. Essie was born in America, so unlike other books on this topic she doesn't encounter any language barriers. She is no greenhorn. But this book really isn't about the fire, nor about labor laws or unfair working conditions. Its about a girl whose entire world has been struck off-kilter and she believes her own delusions.

I do like how she escaped the fire though. Other protagonists ran to the roof, jumped, or squeezed into a elevator but Essie made sure her friend made it into the elevator car first and slid down the cable right after.
She is scarred for life but I think that is what makes her such a strong character. Every other protagonist came through physically unharmed but Essie didn't. I think this is far more realistic than other books I've read.

I won't spoil the actual ending anymore than I already have but let's just say it didn't sit well with me. I'm a big fan of happily ever after endings and although I know this story couldn't have ended with everything ties in a neat little bow, I needed more closure.

On characters, I am torn between smiling and wanting to throttle Jimmy. I was glad to see him gain his independence in the end but just the fact that he kissed Easier while he was engaged and the simply disappeared irritates me. He ran away with his tail between his legs and that's horrible. By the end of the book he never redeems himself and that was a large factor when I rated this book.

Question: Have you ever places someone's wants and desires before your own, such as Essie dis for her sister, to the point your happiness depended solely on theirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment