Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tilt by Ellen Hopkins

Genre: Contemporary
Publishing year: 2012
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Rating: 3/5
Series: Companion to Triangles

Synopsis:
Witnessing the fallout from the poor choices their parents make and the lies adults tell themselves, three teens are clinging to the last remnants of the secure and familiar world in which they've grown up. But the ground is shifting. What was once clear is now confused. Everything is tilting.
Mikayla is sure she's found the love her parents seem to have lost, but is suddenly weighing nearly impossible choices in the wake of dashed expectations. Shane has come out, unwilling to lie anymore about who he is, but finds himself struggling to keep it all under control in the face of first love and a horrific loss. Harley, a good girl just seeking new experiences, never expects to hurtle toward self-destructive extremes in order to define who she is and who she wants to be.

Review:
I don't feel that this book lives up to the standard set by Hopkins' other books. It just felt flat to me. Before reading Impulse, I could only remember one time I had cried over a book, and that book was A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. But Impulse and several books after it made me burst into tears.  Just not this one. At least part of my problem is that I couldn't connect with any of the characters.I honestly didn't like a single one aside from Alex, and he wasn't involved enough for me to grow attached.

The biggest issue is the number of narrators. In every other book by Hopkins we might have three to five main characters, it just depends. But it seems like every character in Tilt had a say. Mikayla, Dylan, Tyler, Shelby, Shane, Alex, Harley, Lucas, and a few others. While getting a peak into character's head was interesting it really made it hard to focus on the story. I felt myself getting turned around and confused several times and it became frustrating when I began mixing up the characters. Whose sister is that? Wait is this girl's parents the ones getting divorced or is it that other girl. By the end of the book my head was spinning off into space.

The only character I came close to liking was Shelby, but knowing her fate from the get go stopped me from becoming emotional over her narrations. Having already read Triangles, I knew most of the plot spoilers for this book already, but I did like getting into Mikayla's head. She seemed childish in the first book, and while I'm not ready to completely change my opinion of her, she did take a small step to redemption in the end.

Question: How many characters are too many?

No comments:

Post a Comment