Saturday, September 28, 2013

Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines



There were features I loved and hated about this book. Stepping away from it after I stayed up till 3:30 in the morning reading it, yes I read the book in one go, I have developed a very firm opinion on the book. Don’t worry, it’s mostly good. 

1.      My Own Misconceived Notions: This is more of a book about grieving, and coping with hurdles in life than romance or action. The front cover led me to believe that the book would go into more details of the fights and that the main character Lyn would spend more than five to ten minutes in an arena. Also on the cover is a girl with long hair, due to a head injury early on in the book Lyn’s head is shaved. Oh the misrepresentation…

2.      Dialogue: The dialogue got on my nerves quickly. “This is how almost all authors do dialogue.” –This is how the book does it. She said. –It was jarring and I didn’t like it. I like that it’s different but several times it caught me off guard or I lost track of what I was reading. I have a feeling this happened to several other readers.

3.      Lyn and Uber: The romance was sweet and a little hopeful. I genuinely liked Uber, even though he killed Lyn’s father, Tommy in the arena. He was just a likeable character to me and his clumsiness was adorable. I like how the romance didn’t overpower the plot but I would have liked just a teensy bit more. But in the epilogue when he asks her to dinner and she puts him off for a second and then accepts, I had an aww moment.

4.      Prologue: It was a little dry compared to what I’m used to reading but once I got through that, it was fine. Although again with the prologue, it mentioned far too many brands for my liking. It was almost a commercial. I remember Nike, Armani, and also a mention of Russell Crowe. The author did a fantastic job of dating this book, which I don’t think was a smart thing to do but eh. At least Apple products weren’t popping up around every corner.

5.      Pacifism. Throughout the book Lyn keeps mentioning that she’s a pacifist but never goes into much as to why she is. It quickly began to get on my nerves especially during her brief fight with Uber. She had no trouble fighting in that arena. Not for a girl and certainly not for a pacifist. One of two things happened here. Either this was meant to be her act of rebellion against her mom or the author added this fact intending to make it a bigger deal and then never did.

Noticing that my list is compiled of mostly negative comments doesn’t make me like this book any less. There are reasons I had to read it cover to cover in one night. I couldn’t put it down despite all the negatives and I wouldn’t hesitate to read this book again. In fact I think this is a story I will have to write fanfiction for soon. I can see so many ways to flesh out the romance between Lyn and Uber and I can’t wait to give it a go.

So what’s your opinion on fights to the death like in this book or comparatively like in The Hunger Games?

No comments:

Post a Comment