Wednesday, September 18, 2013

5 Signs You're a Natural Redhead



1.      You feel strongly about the word “ginger”. The feeling may be either positive or negative but I have never met a fellow redhead who was nonchalant about the term.

2.      More than one person has asked, “Is your hair color natural?” It always amazes me that no one comments on a blonde’s dark roots but they feel that asking what bottle my hair came out of is a socially acceptable question. This is the redhead equivalent of asking a woman when her baby is due and having her glare at you because she is just pudgy.

3.      At some point, you have been in the same room as another redhead and a teacher or co-worker has assumed you are related to each other. This can also double as the mistaken identity rule. I once had a soccer coach scream direction to me and I blissfully ignored him. Granted if he had called me by my name rather than that of another redhead on the same team, I might have realized he was talking to me. This tie backs into the rule because he later assumed we were cousins.

4.      Experiences from childhood have made you take a firm anti-bullying stance. There is a finite line between teasing and bullying. 

5.      You are used to people asking if they can touch your hair. Also if you are used to people touching it without asking. Ah, the checkout lines of Wal-Mart and little old ladies. The combination has given me a mild paranoia about my personal space. It was also a major consideration when I decided to cut my hair.

There is much more I could add to this list but these five seem the most important to me. Fellow redheads are welcome to chime in and I would also like to hear from everyone else on this question too. How do you feel about the stereotypes surrounding your hair color? Do certain things happen to you because of your hair color or type?  Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment